This is only for those who are interested. It's going to be really
long and detailed and stuff, so you are in no way obligated to read this.
:)
We went to the
hospital at 4:00 AM on Thursday, Feb. 2 to be induced. Because of Nate's busy
season, we figured if he hadn't come by then, we would force the kid out when
it was a little more convenient for us. :) I changed into the lovely hospital
robe and they got me started on the antibiotic for Strep B. They said the
doctor would be in around 8:00 to break my water and start pit. Amazingly, both
Nate and I were able to sleep a little in those 4+ hours.
The doctor didn't
end up coming in until closer to 8:30 (time goes SO slow when you're just
waiting...) and she checked me first. Keep in mind here, I had been having
pretty serious contractions off and on for about a week. One night we even
called the hospital and were planning to go in because they were less than 10
minutes apart for over an hour. Unfortunately, they slowed down so we never
went in. So anyway, the doctor checked me and I was BARELY a 3. After quite a
bit of effort (not sure why it was so hard...), she managed to break my water
and I sat there for the next 2 hours, leaking uncomfortably and having nothing
else happen. No increase in contractions or anything. The doctor didn't give me
pitocin, but said she would come back at lunch time to see how things were
going. We convinced the nurse to start the pitocin around 10 or 10:30 since
breaking my water had done absolutely nothing.
Still, even with
my water broken and the pitocin started, basically nothing happened. I
would have occasional contractions, but nothing consistent or even very
painful. A little after noon, the nurse increased the pitocin enough to where
they were starting to be painful. I got an epidural sometime around 1:00 or
2:00 (can't really remember...) but the nurse was getting a little frustrated
that the contractions really weren't consistent - 7 minutes, 2 minutes, 5
minutes, 3 minutes. In fact, she told me I have a "stubborn uterus."
The doctor did come in around 1:45 and checked me - I was only at about a 6 at
this point. Nate asked me if I was depressed and I think I was either too tired
or in too much pain to have a real response.
From 2:00 or so
until about 4:00, I slept or watched TV off and on. I couldn't really
concentrate on anything and could still feel a little of the pain here and
there. The nurse was coming in every few minutes to check how things were
going. She said at one point early in the afternoon that she thought he was
"sunny side up", meaning his head was facing up instead of down like
it should be. She kept having me lay in these really awkward positions to see
if we could get him to turn and at one point she thought he had.
Around 4:00,
apparently I was complete or at least very close, but the baby still wasn't
moving down - I think I was still at a -2 or -3. The nurse decided to have me
start pushing a bit to see if I could get him to come down a little more before
we had the doctor come in. I'm going to be completely honest: from this point
on, things are a little blurry for me. I remember this nurse had me push off
and on until her shift ended at 5. At that point a new nurse came in and I
pushed off and on (but more frequently, as my contractions were now 1-2 minutes
apart and I was pushing every few contractions, but not every one). At some
point in all this, I realized I was feeling all of the pain - ALL of it. I
mentioned it a couple of times and since I wasn't really getting much a
response I finally just said "I can feel everything and I shouldn't be -
can you please have the anesthesiologist come in?" He came in and gave me a
super shot of that amazing drug, straight into my IV. THEN he decided to check
the epidural line and realized it had come unhooked. NO WONDER I was hurting,
yeah?
Once we got the
epidural fixed, at some point the doctor came in and we started pushing for
reals. Oh. My. Ouch. I have never done anything so hard in my whole life. Keep
in mind, when I had Karly my doctor didn't want me pushing because of my high
blood pressure, so I pushed 4 times and he pulled her out with forceps. In the
end, with Tanner, I pushed for nearly 3 hours. He never did turn, so he was
facing up which makes it MUCH harder to get through the birth canal. AND this
kid was nearly 10 pounds! Anyway, I'm not sure how long it was, but Nate was
holding one leg, the nurse was holding the other and the doctor was telling me
to push - "keep pushing, keep going, you're almost there!" I'm pretty
sure I heard that for a solid hour. Nate confided later that he just sat there
saying as little as possible because every time I pushed, his head would move
out a little, but as soon as I stopped pushing, it would slide right back to
where it was. He was basically stuck behind my pelvic bone and for a good part
of the time, I was pushing wrong (oops?), so we were making very little
progress. Once I started pushing right, the most helpful thing was one nurse
would count to 10 and I just had to keep pushing until she got to 10. The
doctor and nurses saying "keep pushing, keep pushing!" really didn't
make me want to keep pushing. For some reason the counting thing helped though.
I was so tired that I was falling asleep between pushing (which was maybe a
minute between each contraction, so not a lot of sleeping time) and started
telling the doctor to just pull him out. I literally could not understand why
she wasn't doing that. At one point, she did mention using the vacuum, but deep
down I really didn't want her to just pull him out. :) I kept saying I couldn't
do it and everyone in the room kept saying I could. I really wasn't sure how
much longer I could do this. FINALLY (with the help of an episiotomy literally
right before my last push) he came out! Once his head got through, the rest of
him just kind of slid out.
When the doctor
pulled him out, she said "wow, he's over 9 pounds," but everyone in
the room was shocked when the nurse weighed him and he was 9 lbs, 10 oz. No
wonder it was so hard to get him out! I held him for a second and then Nate
held him and they just kind of cleaned him off a little bit and said they would
do a full bath later.
Then came the fun
part [I really wish there was a sarcasm font]. Apparently really big babies
have the same problem as really small babies - they have a hard time regulating
their body temperature and blood sugar levels. We decided to let the Tanner
sleep in the nursery that first night so we could get a little sleep; I just
told the nurses to bring him to me when he needed to eat. I think we gave him
to the nurses at around midnight. At 1:30, the nurse came in to say Tanner's
blood sugar was a little low and asked if it was okay to give him formula to
get his blood sugar numbers up. I said it was fine - I just wanted to make sure
Tanner was okay. They also said that for the next day we should probably
supplement his feedings with formula, just to make sure his numbers stayed
high. Well, the lactation nurse came in the next day and told us that the
nurses probably didn't need to give him formula - his blood sugar level was 39
and normal for a baby is 40. She also said that a newborn's stomach holds about
7 ml and that the nurses had given him 23 ml! Granted, Tanner was a bigger
baby, so maybe he needed more milk, but the lactation nurse definitely thought
that was way too much. By the end of our hospital stay, Nate was SO sick of the
nurses and lactation nurses because it was obvious they weren't talking to each
other - they were just giving us their own advice. Also, can I just say here
how much I HATE the nurses saying I had to wake him up to eat? I'm sorry, but I
firmly believe a baby is not going to let himself starve. He will wake up when
he needs to eat (and we have definitely learned that since he's been home -
when he's hungry EVERYONE in the house knows it). Anyway, it all turned out
fine (though I kind of think part of the reason Tanner is not good at nursing
is because he got used to a bottle before he had nursing figured out).
So anyway, we love
this little boy and are so glad everything went well. Despite all the pain and
frustration of getting him here and right after, there was so much that could
have gone wrong and didn't, for which I am very grateful. We are doing really
well now, except for nursing. This kid sucks at sucking. I have had to pump on
one side for over a week because it's so torn up, a lactation consultant I met
with told me not to nurse on it until it's healed. I got mastitis on the other
side and had to take an antibiotic for a week. I am hoping that eventually we
will get it figured out, but I'm preparing myself for the idea that I may not
be able to nurse as long as I'd like. Tanner does seem to be doing better, but
we'll see...
I will be amazed
if anyone is still reading at this point. :)
6 comments:
Hey...I read the WHOLE thing and I think you're amazing. :) Would love to meet that cutie of yours someday.
Love you.
Me too! I read it all! Sounds a lot like my story when Ethan was born! I was pushing for forever too! very frustrating, especially when you are half asleep!!
Have you guys checked the thingy under his tongue to see if he's able to stick it out very far for when he's nursing. Sometimes, it's "tight" and this makes it so that you cannot stick your tongue out very far, which for a baby would make it hard to suck since the tongue should come out and almost wrap around the nipple.
We dentist could numb it and snip it just a little... as sad as that sounds, it's simple and heals quickly! Probably quicker than your more nipples healing!! ouch!
check under his tongue or have the ped. doctor check it! (or mu husband could if we lived closer!)
Heidi is mentioning tongue tie where the frenulum needs to be snipped (I've known quite a few people who have experienced this). Here's a link that might help you check Tanner. http://www.breastfeedingbasics.com/articles/tongue-tie
I had the most nursing problems with Christopher, and they also insisted that he needed to raise his blood sugar, so they supplemented with formula in the hosp. I know the pain is horrible, but I'm such a big proponent of breastfeeding that I can only say I hope it gets better quickly. :) Love you! Em
I loved nursing Elsie, but not at the beginning! I found a lot of helpful (and free!) advice at kellymom.com. And I have to agree with you about the nurses. I was totally surprised at how many of them suggested supplementing with formula even though I had decided to nurse. Sorry you've had such a rough start. Having a new baby is hard enough without having nursing problems! I hope you have a good pump:)
I know it makes you crazy when I comment on every post; I'm catching up on a lot, so I chose this one instead of the monkey-comparison pictures post (which I adore and am so glad you're doing again)because, even though I was there after, there were lots of details I didn't know about; I also just read Melissa's post about Dax's birth, and I'm so glad you blogger queens do these lengthy, detailed, AWESOME but easily forgotten - yet oh-so-important posts! They are your history and the history of your child. So good. I'm so lonesome for y'all after being here on your page, but so glad you take the time to make me feel that way. :->
Sure do love you. But you knew that, right? Yeah, you did... ;-)
Hugs,
Yomama
Post a Comment