Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha
Nate pointed this out to me in the Daily Universe (or Daily Uni"farce" as my dad affectionately calls the BYU newspaper). This was a letter to the editor today:
I thought I might die laughing. Sometimes I think people write letters to the editor, just to see how much controversy they can stir up.
I just laugh.
P.S. Eventually I will post something unrelated to Twilight. I promise.
7 years ago
7 comments:
I think he is saying that no man can compare to the way that Edward treats Bella, so in that way it creates unrealistic expectations. But that also means that any book that portrays a "perfect" man could be considered pornography. We just shouldn't read romances any more.
Oh brother. I think his definition of pornography is too broad. He is referring to unrealistic expectations as pornography...huh? He just wishes he was more like Edward, that's all. There is nothing about the books that is pornographic, in fact, I think she tries to be very careful about that and I champion her for doing so. What do you think? I could go on....And I like your twilight posts. Then I can feel satisfied and not feel like I have to post everything I'm thinking too!
AHAHAHHAHA
oh my. I so miss my daily dosage of the DU.
HAHAHAAHA. Oh brother. Sooo, do I have to confess to my bishop??
HA! In that case, most chick-flicks could be considered pornographic. Anywho, I just finished Eclipse last night. I too was sucked in. :) Love you and miss you.
hehe
i just noticed all the comments on this post are from women.
but what he is saying is somewhat true:
edward is too perfect to be true.
But i dont think guys should be so winey about twilight and should just read it, cause it would basically be a romance 101 textbook for what women would LOVE!
hehe
Mel
While I agree that when I saw the title "Twilight is Pornography" I laughed, I also agree with what he said. I think women get romantic "fixes" just like any addict does with any addictive medium. Sometimes I feel like I need to watch a "good" chick flick, but I think that romantic movies and literature can unconsciously create an expectation of "love" and romance that is not only unrealistic but is also not what we know love to be in a gospel sense (not to be too preachy). What we fill our minds with becomes our reality whether we want it to or not. If we fill our minds with Hollywood romance that's what we will expect in real life. That being said, I don't think chick flicks and the Twilight series are evil tools of Satan leading us slowly down to Hell. I think they are harmless enough if kept in perspective and in small doses, though the same cannot be said of pornography as we think of it in the traditional sense.
Post a Comment