"Making the decision to have a child - it's momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking outside your body."
-Elizabeth Stone

Saturday, August 30, 2008

So this will be my first serious post on our blog. If you know me at all, you know that I enjoy talking about financial issues (OK so enjoy is a VAST understatement). Our good friends Damien and Natalya had mentioned Dave Ramsey a few times during financial discussions, but I was always quick to dismiss what they shared with us because the ideas seemed "too conservative", "unreasonable", and "impossible". For example, Dave says you should cut up all credit cards, not buy anything unless you can write a check for it (or use a debit card), with exception of a house on which you shouldn't have greater than a 15 year mortgage. About a month ago I was sitting at work bored, and decided I would listen to Dave Ramsey's radio show. On his show Dave answers caller's questions about money issues. In the process of listening to Dave give these people advice I had a huge paradigm change about money. Long story short, Alisa and I are reading Dave's books and committing to follow his money advice for the rest of our lives.

Now many of you are probably thinking, "How can you be so committed to the teachings of this guy?". Or maybe you think we've been roped in to some "secret" get rich quick plan. First, Dave will be the first to admit there is no "secret" to getting rich; he teaches that handling money is 80% behavior and only 20% knowledge. The secret is not just knowing what to do, but having the discipline to control spending habits and lifestyles. And as to to how we can be so committed to this plan...maybe it will be best if I share some of his teachings. As you read over these statements think about where you hear these principles taught regularly.

-Stay out/get out of debt because "the borrower is a servant to the lender" says Proverbs. I always enjoy when Dave challenges people to find one good statement about debt in the bible (I would extend that challenge to any modern day scriptures).
-Have 3-6 months expenses set aside for rainy days. Dave calls this building a wall between you and Murphy (you know, Murphy's law?). People tell Dave he needs to be more positive, and his response is always "I am positive...that it is going to rain"
-No matter your income develop the habit of tithing/giving

As you can see, Dave's main goal is not getting rich. He wants people to reach "Financial Peace", in fact that is the name of his first book. He teaches basic principles that anyone, at any point in life can follow. He makes you realize building wealth and financial peace are not as much a function of what you make, as how much you spend of what you make. How many of us have heard of some professional athlete, musician, or actor going broke when they've made millions? Just recently I heard Ed McMahon and Michael Jackson were fighting foreclosure on their homes.

So why am I blogging about this? Mainly because we are so grateful for Damien and Natalya introducing us to Dave, and I would feel guilty if I did not at least attempt to share this stuff with other people too. Now I know that many of you will just think we're crazy and that we're joining some weird cult, but frankly we don't care. For the first time in our marriage, budgeting did not end with Alisa falling asleep or us getting frustrated, and we're already enjoying the peace that comes with preparing for tough times so that they will hopefully be a blip on the radar and not a life catastrophe.

For those that are curious, I refer you to Dave's website www.daveramsey.com. It is great timing because until Tuesday his books are all on sale for $10.00. I would recommend starting with "Total Money Makeover"; it is a very easy read and very entertaining.

11 comments:

Damien said...

Thank you so much for this post! Before marrying Natalya I had very little in the way of financial education; now, thanks to her and Dave, we really do have financial peace.

I'm glad you two are on board as well, it's so empowering to know that we're in charge of our financial life and making our money work for us.

If anyone wants to learn more about how money works and how they can take control of their financial destiny instead of just floating through life, check out Dave Ramsey's Total Money Makeover.

AJ said...

it kind of makes me laugh that you guys are so serious about this only after reading from Dave. Especially because there have been numerous Ensign talks and probably other talks from general authorities that have said these exact same things. I guess whatever pushes you to do it is good. But Dave Ramsey isn't the only inspired one. :)

Damien said...

The difference is that the Church speaks in generalities when it comes to money management; Dave has very detailed plans and advice. I invite you to read The Total Money Makeover, and then perhaps you will want to retract your statement.

AJ said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
AJ said...

I am not saying that Ramsey isn't 100% correct. (I am interested in reading his book. Its on my list) All I am saying is that there have been talks, even with specific advice (see this article by Marvin J. Ashton: http://lds.org/ldsorg/v/index.jsp?vgnextoid=f318118dd536c010VgnVCM1000004d82620aRCRD&locale=0&sourceId=6882196b5a1eb010VgnVCM1000004d82620a____&hideNav=1 or this one from the Ensign: http://lds.org/ldsorg/v/index.jsp?vgnextoid=2354fccf2b7db010VgnVCM1000004d82620aRCRD&locale=0&sourceId=d6c776978ac17110VgnVCM100000176f620a____&hideNav=1 ) that have said some of the things that Nate said that Ramsey said. I am sure that Ramsey does get more specific (with a whole book on the subject, he darn well better!), but the principles have been talked about before. And like I said before, whatever helps you to apply it is great.

D/E G said...

I agree with what Dave Ramsey proposes. We aren't perfect but try to follow the same principles. Yes, spending less than you earn can get frustrating.
I've never heard of Dave Ramsey, but have definitely read others who say basically the same things. The funny thing is how many people don't understand these basic principles. Thanks, Nate for the great post.

Darren

nate.f said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
nate.f said...

So I spent the morning checking out some of the financial resources the church provides. For those interested check out www.providentliving.org. It is a website put out by the church on finances, food storage, etc.

AJ was right about the church teaching the same principles as Dave. The exception is Dave tends to be more conservative than even the church if you can believe that. Plus Dave's books provide a detailed plan that includes 7 "baby steps" getting out of debt and building wealth. Within these steps he gives more detailed instructions than you you will find from church resources. The reason we got so excited about Dave is because he's given us practical knowledge to do what the church teaches.

Lynn said...

I too have very strong opinions on handling money, most from many years of listening to the brethren, some from living really really poor. Haven't actually heard Dave but I think I would agree with him. aunty D

Anonymous said...

Congrats on your commitment to financial freedom! I've never read Dave, but it was recommended at our emergency preparedness meeting on Sunday. (Don't worry, I don't think anyone thinks you've joined a cult :).

Yomama said...

Wow, Nate, when you decide to blog, you REALLY blog! Way to cover an important topic well, and say why it matters to you both. Tim has taught a few fifth Sunday lessons on finances, because there are so many ward members who just don't get it. He always involves me, because I am the poor girl who taught him how to conserve, and he's the guy who makes me feel rich! Thanks - Hugs, Yomama