So, I realized that some of the movies I post about are sort of depressing. I don't really talk about the good, wholesome, everyone-should-watch-this kind of movies.
THIS is one of those movies. It has a GREAT message (which is summarized VERY well at the end, by a cute little kid - isn't that great? A movie with a moral that is actually stated, so people can't even question it). The acting is, for the most part, also great. I'm not a huge fan of Christina Ricci (Casper ruined her for me), but let's be honest...
HE
makes the whole movie worth it.
Sigh...
Ahem, so back to the movie: The basic plot is of a girl who is born under a curse put on her family because of her great-great-great grandfather. She's born with the face of a pig (well, nose and ears) and the only way to break the curse is to be loved for the rest of her life by someone of her "own kind" meaning a blue blood, meaning a rich, upper class person in society.
It's interesting to see the different perspectives of people in the movie. Her mother devotes her life to finding the man to break this spell. But in the process, she basically treats Penelope as if she's not really herself, when the only thing that ISN'T herself is her nose. She's still "her" on the inside, but her mother has a hard time looking past the face. This is the case with the suitors who come calling - they see only a face they wouldn't want to kiss and don't even take the time to get to know the sweet person on the inside. Until this guy:
(okay, let's be honest, I just wanted to post another picture of him)
Even before he sees her face, he "sees" what a terrific person she is. But, because of complications that I won't share - I don't want to give the movie away - he doesn't break the curse.
Another interesting character is this little midget reporter guy, who has been trying to get a picture and a story on Penelope since she was a baby. At one point toward the end of the movie, he says something about how he's not even sure why he's chasing the story anymore - it's all about his wounded ego that he didn't get the story all those years ago. How often do we do that - hold onto something for no reason other than pride? Hmm. :)
Anyway, as I said, it's a great movie that I think even little kids would enjoy.
7 years ago
3 comments:
stop watching all these good movies without me!!!
i loved this movie also! it's a great one...and the hot actor is fun to watch also!!!
Yep, we all loved it - even the papa, and we are going to watch it again with Ben and Ems sometime while they are here. Thanks for an excellent review!
Hugs,
Yomama
Post a Comment