"Making the decision to have a child - it's momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking outside your body."
-Elizabeth Stone

Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Blood Pressure, Moab, and Almost There!

So, I had a doctor's appointment yesterday. I went in fully expecting it to be the same as all the others. And it was, for the most part.

Aside from the part where my doctor told me I can't go to work anymore.

Or clean.

Or go on "shopping sprees" (because I do that SO often).

Apparently, my blood pressure was a little higher than my doctor was comfortable with. So I was banned from working. At first, I was pretty frustrated because we'd been planning on my working for a couple more weeks, if possible. Nate, kindly reminded me as I sobbed (dang pregnancy hormones) that I don't have to go to work anymore! Well DUH Alisa - you're thrilled about that. But I also don't LOVE the idea of sitting around the house, waiting for the baby to come. I'm going to have to get myself some projects to work on while I wait for her arrival!

I went in for a stress test today as well, just to make sure she's okay. The nurse didn't give me the results, but said she would fax them to my doctor. It seemed like everything was okay though, so I'm not too worried.

So here I am, sitting at home (when I would normally still be at work) eating a bowl of ice cream, FINALLY updating my blog!

Last weekend, as kind of a last Hurrah before Frakeserella (my sister's nickname for the little munchkin) comes, we took a little trip down to Moab.

Now, before you start thinking I'm a bad mommy, I DID have my doctor's permission and I felt great, so we weren't worried.

It was, without a doubt, one of the most memorable Moab trips ever for both good and bad. For example:

BAD: We left Friday afternoon and got there around 4:30 or 5. We drove around for almost THREE hours trying to find a camping site. The place was PACKED! Moab is getting much more busy than it ever used to be, even 3 years ago when I first started going. It's depressing.

GOOD(ish): We started talking about just driving back to Provo, but decided to try one more place. We stopped at one of those campsites where the camping spaces are about 5 feet from the people next to you:
We remained optimistic, saying maybe we'd be able to find something less close to others the next day and at least we got to stay in Moab and build a fire and still be camping.

VERY BAD: This tent was right across from us. Since this is a public blog and I'd like to keep it G rated, let's just say Nate, Damien and I got woken up and ended up getting about 2 hours less sleep than we would have liked, because of the couple in there. That's all I'm gonna say. Very bad.

GOOD: I'm pregnant. Of course I would include food as part of the good list. We had some awesome strawberries and yummy muffins (as well as lots of other good food).

GOOD: We had a great time hiking around Saturday morning! We went on some pretty easy hikes for my sake (all less than 1/2 mile). The only time I was uncomfortable was when I had use the bathroom or the little munchkin decided to sit on my bladder (okay, those were pretty often, but I still had fun!).

Gross, I know. But Nate insisted I be in SOME pictures, even though I'm NOT a fan of how I look. Oh well.
That's Delicate Arch in the background. Usually we hike right to the arch, but that's a LONG hike with a lot of steepness. So we opted for just the short hike with a distant view. By the way (you can probably tell from this picture), I way more than Nate. He tried to keep up with me, but failed miserably (which is probably good, since I'll loose a lot [most] of the weight within a couple of days after baby's here).
Don't tell Natalya he did this, but that cliff goes down about 100-200 more feet. Yikes! (this is at Gemeni Bridges, by the way)
Um...I think we took more pictures of this animal than anything else combined. I'll only show you one picture though. We're weird.
This is Canyonlands - I had never gone here before, even after all the times we've gone to Moab, so that was kind of fun to see. Someday, we're going to hike to Angel Arch, which is in Canyonlands (it's like a 10 mile hike or something).
Just look at the background or the handsome guy in the blue sweatshirt...those are the good parts of the picture.

GOOD: We found a new campsite for Saturday night!

BAD: It was kind of windy...and knocked our tent over (even with ALL of our stuff in it!) while we were out to dinner.


GOOD: We still got to build an awesome fire and roast S'mores!
GOOD: Sunday we did a few more short hikes, like Balance Rock (where the boys got a little snap happy). We also went to Sand Dune Arch (way fun arch for kids/husbands :D)
BAD (or FUNNY): ALL hygiene goes out the window for these two when we're camping. These pictures don't even do their hair the justice (or injustice) it deserves.
BAD:

I look like I have elephantiasis or something...

And finally...

GOOD: Little girl is due in TWO WEEKS! YAY!

10 comments:

Connor MacLennan said...

yay for moab...it just makes life so much better. i don't know if i would have been as willing as you to hike around in the heat that pregnant. good for you. and i just have to say i love the cankles and swollen feet...i definitely feel your pain. they will go back to normal, i think it took mine about 1 week but it would have been less if i didn't have the c section. we can't wait to see the little one!

Connor MacLennan said...

oh and obviously this is lindsey, not connor

Jordy and Paiger said...

OH GEES! The feet pic is what i am going thru right now. The water retention is insane from the PIT and Epidural. I guess those two things make me retain water even more than what I was in the first place. I am excited for your babe to come. It is the best thing! Good luck with everything!

Lindsey said...

Camping/hiking 2 weeks before your due date??? That's it, I can never complain about our Lake Powell trip again. I'm super impressed! Frakeserella would make a great middle name...

Rob and Marseille said...

how was camping? I've told Rob I don't want to go camping because I have a hard enough time being comfortable in our own bed...but if you could do it, maybe I should give in. Did you guys have an airmatteress? Any tricks to sleeping comfortably?

Sally said...

when i was about 8 months we tried out camping... luckily in our back yard. i didn't even make it to 2 in the morning, i was in so much pain. how in the world did you do that for two nights?! i almost cried for you looking at your feet, they look so painful, you poor little mommy-to-be. they remind me of babies feet (i thought they were at first glance!)... that means they're cute!

Amy said...

you're a trooper! hopefully all that walking will get her here sooner! hang in there-it will be over in no time. good luck these next 2 weeks. :)

D/E G said...

Great pics--thanks for sharing! I don't know if you remember me after my kids were born, but that baby weight does usually take some time to come off, so don't plan on weighing "a lot" less for awhile! :)I hope these two weeks go quickly for you!

Melissa said...

I also wanted to say don't feel bad when "a lot" or "most" of the weight does NOT come off in the first few days! :) you're such a trooper. thanks for all the pictures. I can't believe you're due so soon--I guess time flies when other people are pregnant!

altanoreida said...

I absolutely love the first pic of you posing. Love IT!!! Miss you and love you and can't wait to see that baby of yours when she comes. I am bummed that we missed you this weekend. Why is Logan so far away?