"Making the decision to have a child - it's momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking outside your body."
-Elizabeth Stone

Thursday, February 11, 2010

Do you ever...

have one of those nights, right before you go grocery shopping that your house is practically devoid of food?

I did.

I had ingredients for several different things, but there was always a crucial element missing: tomato sauce, bread, etc.

So, I got on the wonderful allrecipes.com and went to the ingredient search. All I put in was "ground beef."

This is what came out of that:

Yeah, I know what it looks like. You don't have to tell me. And yes, that is hashed browns underneath. No pasta.

It actually didn't taste as bad as it looks. A little salty, actually. Nate ate almost all of it, though I can tell how much (or little) he likes something based on how much he drinks while eating.

We did have an interesting conversation though:

Nate: (picking up the place) This is heavy.
Alisa: (no response. I just laughed.)
A few bites in
Alisa: How is it?
Nate: It's not the worst thing you've ever made, but I wouldn't request it again.

I love it. He's so tactful.

Well, I'm off to get a Tums.

3 comments:

Lindsey said...

ha! this totally made me laugh, especially what nathan had to say about it. i cannot tell you how often this happens at our house. and connor has a reaction very similar to nathan's... his response is usually, "well, it's not going to be a maclennan family favorite..." lately i have resorted to waffles for dinner when all else fails...i am pretty sure we had them 2 weeks in a row in january.

Lydia said...

My Nate eats Chicken, chicken and more chicken! I was getting sick of eating the same old broiled chicken breast so I decided to bread the chicken. Still trying to maintain some semblance of nutrition, I breaded the chicken with oatmeal- instant oatmeal to be exact. That was the day Breakfast Chick as Nate calls it was born. It was and will be the only day Breakfast Chicken will ever appear in our house. It was bad.

Shannon said...

Ah, don't you love experimentation nights? Or desperation nights or whatever they are called?! We often have spaghetti if I can't come up with anything else, but I must say yours gets props on creativity. Guys are nice enough to not say it's disgusting and I'll never eat it again, when they could, but they didn't make it right? :) Thanks for the laugh. Loved the picture too. At first I thought it was to display a favorite new recipe or something...first glance Glenn and I said that looks kind of gross, ha ha, then we kept reading!! You're too funny Alis!