"Making the decision to have a child - it's momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking outside your body."
-Elizabeth Stone

Monday, June 11, 2012

The Birds

My friend Becki posted a hilarious blog post about birds living in their porch light. I laughed.

Then I realized we had birds living in our chimney. I wasn't laughing anymore.

THEN the birds had baby birds. And I really wasn't laughing.

THEN they decided to teach their baby birds to fly. And one of them sucked at it. And landed in our fireplace. And stayed there for HOURS.


 Can you see it? 



Karly rushed into the backyard where we were working and said "There's a bird in the fire place! Hurry, we have to get it out before it gets in our house!"

Nate was hoping it would just die of gas inhalation or something. I knew Karly would be traumatized for life if that happened. So we put a sheet in front of the fireplace, opened the doors and helped the bird fly into the sheet, where we carefully took it outside.

It sat on the ground. Hopped a little. Squawked a lot.

Eventually it hopped into our neighbors yard, but we never did see the bird fly away. We did, however, see our neighbors dog chasing something in their yard and hear a lot of loud bird sqwaking. Crap.

Note to self: put a grate or SOMETHING over the top of the chimney. 

0 comments: