"Making the decision to have a child - it's momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking outside your body."
-Elizabeth Stone

Thursday, March 13, 2008

Feed people while making yourself smarter!

I was reading People magazine when I came across an article about a man who was trying to inspire his son to study for the SAT. He came up with a computer game that teaches vocabulary words and eventually made it into a website. It doesn't only teach vocabulary however. For every correct answer, this man (John Breen) donates 20 grains of rice to the U.N. World Food Program. The article said he has generated 20 billion grains of rice (enough to feed a million people for a day).

The website is www.freerice.com. I tried it and it's way fun! (I did realize, however, that the only reason I knew half the words I do is from reading Jane Austen books - that's kind of sad). I played for less than 5 minutes and donated 740 grains of rice. That would be a lot of rice if everyone who looks at this blog played for 5 minutes or less (especially if you have a bigger vocabulary than me - which most of you do I'm sure!).

Even if you think it's silly, go play to make your vocab bigger. People will think you're smart. :)

3 comments:

Brenna said...

I was on that site last week and thought the same thing about the Jane Austen vocabulary! The site was kind of addictive too...

AJ said...

I did it for quite a while. I did pretty well especially at first. Then when I started missing some, I wanted to get back up to the level that I was on. Very addicting, but for a good cause, right?

D/E G said...

Thanks for the fun, Alise! I ended up donating more than I'd planned cuz I wanted to stay on my level or go higher.