"Making the decision to have a child - it's momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking outside your body."
-Elizabeth Stone

Monday, March 17, 2008

I did it! barely...

I did the Rex Lee 5k Run on Saturday and amazingly, I ran the whole thing. Even more amazingly, I finished in about 30 minutes! Compared to Melissa's 13 miles in 2 hours, that's nothing, but considering I haven't run since last July, I think I did pretty well.

Here I am before the race with Damien & Natalya (they were the only reason I ran the whole thing. I couldn't let them finish TOO far ahead of me. Thanks for running with me guys!)


Ready, set....

Here I am about 20 yards from the finish line. Thanks to my wonderful hubby for taking pictures! :)

And here I am looking ready to die. That's a horrible picture, but it kind of shows how I felt after the race. I couldn't really breathe.
Here is my attempt at a smile. I finished! Yay!

Here's what I learned:

1. Never try to run a 5k if you haven't run to several months.
2. Make sure to stretch. A lot.
3. Wear gloves! (I couldn't feel my hands by the end of the race - they were still tingling by Sat. evening).
4. Having music to jam to would have helped I think.
5. I am not cut out to run marathons, even with lots of training.

6 comments:

D/E G said...

Good job for sticking with it! Your expressions were not too bad, even when you highlighted them. Thanks for the tips in case I ever feel the need to run with a bunch of people! :)
Em

melis w-y said...

go you! ditto to the music thing--Leif found a cheap iPod for me on craigslist a few weeks before the race, and I'm SO glad I had it for race day! congrats again!

altanoreida said...

I want to do that! I have a couple of PE classes and I went running the other day and found out I have something wrong with my knees, so I don't see a 5K in the near future. But maybe I can work my knees up to it!!

Shannon said...

Yay for Alisa! I'm glad to see they are still using the same shirts, a classic. I miss running...for the way I felt afterward, you know? Good job at running the whole thing and you look cute. Finishing anything like that is definitely an accomplishment!

Lant Family said...

GOOD JOB. Dont you wish we were running this weekend when there isn't any snow in the weather? It sure was fun--good job running with such little prep work. It was fun to see you there!

Leanne said...

Wow. There is no WAY I would ever do that. Good job, what an accomplishment!