"Making the decision to have a child - it's momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking outside your body."
-Elizabeth Stone

Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Hope you're not sick of this girl yet - we sure aren't! 

My mom and I decided to play dress up with Karly this morning, since she has so many super cute dresses (we told my dad that and he said "she's not a TOY you know." We said "we know - she's WAY CUTER than a toy!"). 

So here ya go! (there's a lot....)

These two are my favorite. Mom said it was a Karly dress - it just looks like it was made for her! 



We put a little white  onesie under this one and she's wearing it today. I must say, she looks even better in person. 

LOVE this. 
Yeah, this one is still a little big....

Check out her toes in this one! SO CUTE (plus, she's going cross-eyed which is just awesome) 


In other baby news (let's be honest, it's the most interesting part of our lives), she had a doctor appointment on Monday and seems to be doing great! First of all, she's eating VERY well. The first time she nursed in the hospital, she latched on immediately and the nurse was completely shocked and how quickly she got it. Anyway, back to her doctor appointment: she weighed 7 lbs 15 oz, which is a normal amount of weight loss for a new baby. As far as percentages go, she's in the 58th percentile for weight, 95th for height (I know, she's TALL - how it that possible with such short parents? :), and 30th for head size. 

The doctor was concerned about some white bumps on the back of her throat - he thought either the respiratory therapist was too rough when he was cleaning out her throat, etc., or that she might have herpes (if someone with a cold sore had held her or something). He said he was pretty sure it was the first thing, but herpes is deadly in babies, so he didn't want to take any chances. He ordered some blood tests, so the poor little thing had to get blood drawn. They tried from both arms and couldn't get a vein, so they poked her heel and basically got the blood drop by drop. It took like 30 minutes and she cried the whole time. And I cried most of the time. It was awful. But she's doing great and it turned out to be nothing, so it was just a traumatic experience that she'll never remember. 

We sure love this little girl. Nate is enamored with her and loves to hold her on his chest: 

She always hangs her leg off the side like this. Super funny. 


9 comments:

Rachel said...

I love the pink dress + bow combination at the top. She is seriously the cutest thing I have ever seen.
so sad she had to get blood drawn!! poor baby face!

Lindsey said...

She's way better dressed than I am! Dressing them up is the best part. I think she looks older from when we saw her :)

The Hiller Family said...

She let you do just about anything with your dress up session!
Does Karly have anything to do with Karla!?
I would love to see your Mother so dear! I miss that lady!! But, i'm sure you'll keep her to yourself while she is here!!

Leanne said...

This is awesome. I LOVE that you played dress up with her. She is much better than a toy and looks adorable! and p.s. Garrett and I have never had a cold sore before...just an FYI :)

Joyce said...

She is SO cute and beautifull and nice! Congratulations, I am so happy for you and very excited that you have the time and energy to upload the pictures!! Keep doing it, I really am enjoying!

Melissa said...

yeah, thanks for taking the time to post--your readers appreciate it! she is so precious. can you believe how much you love her??!!! it's awesome, huh.

Shannon said...

Aaah. Darling little pics. I have to tell you that Glenn said "she's not a toy..." I laughed and said "you read what Dad said didn't you?" He hadn't...we chuckled when he went back and read that part. Does Nate feel that way too? Or is it ok cause it's his little baby girl doll? Anyway, thanks for sharing the fashion show/dress up sesh!

Brenna said...

That first dress is my favorite, but they all look so dang cute. You're kind of making me wish Caleb had been a girl... :) it is just so much fun dressing up little girls.

Sally said...

jason gives me a hard time when i do stuff like that to livia... but it is so fun!! he makes fun of me that i insist on sticking a bow on her head whenever we leave the house too. i say, husbands! get used to it! how long will mama cox stay?