Succession of a Prophet
I have loved reading what others have posted about President Hinckley and can honestly say "ditto" to everything I've read. He was and incredible man and touched my life in more ways than I can say. I've thought a lot in the last week about things he taught in my youth that completely affected the very path of my life. What an incredible man!
While I honor President Hinckley, I have a slightly different purpose for this post. It is a VERY long post and I won't be at all offended if it's not all read, but I think it's important stuff, so if you have time, please read it. This morning I googled President Hinckley and read a news article in the Salt Lake Tribune about who would succeed President Hinckley. These are the words of the article: "President Hinckley died Sunday; if tradition holds, the first counselor will take the helm."
I figured that a Utah newspaper, however liberal it may be, would at least be able to get the facts right about the MAJOR religion of the state. For some reason, it really frustrated me and maybe it's because during our ward's testimony meeting yesterday, people seemed to intentionally avoid saying that Elder Monson would be the next prophet and president of the Church. That got me thinking that maybe people don't know the doctrine of succession in the Church and perhaps many do think tradition has something to do with it.
So the purpose of this post is to enlighten those who may not know this doctrine and maybe it will reach the Salt Lake Tribune since I have no idea how I would write a letter to the editor...
The next prophet in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is not, as some people think, the first counselor in the First Presidency. In fact, when the prophet passes away, the First Presidency is dissolved. Those of you who watched President Hinckley's funeral noticed that Thomas S. Monson introduced himself not as President Monson, but as ELDER Monson. An article on BYU's website that Nate pointed out to me explains really well the principle of succession. Click here to read that. The article states that everything is done in seniority. Elder Monson is the senior apostle, which is why he will be the next prophet - not because he was the first counselor. I think there is this idea that the next prophet is chosen by the twelve apostles through revelation -- that's what I used to think at least. However, that is not the case. Nate was telling me about something he heard -- and of course I've forgotten who said it -- that the Lord has created this principle of succession for a reason. If he doesn't want the next most senior apostle to be the president of the church, then basically (and I don't mean for this to sound callous) that person will no longer be alive to fulfill that responsibility. That's how the Lord handles succession of leadership.
Another interesting position in all of this is that of Elder Boyd K. Packer. To be perfectly honest, I didn't understand this, so that's why I'm posting about it now that my husband has enlightened me. I think this is important to know, especially since we're in this situation and it really is doctrine, so we should know it. Anyway, Elder Packer has been the Acting President of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles. He wasn't actually the President of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles. President Monson was. But since President Monson was in the First Presidency, he couldn't act as the president of the quorum. So Elder Packer acted for him, basically. Now that President Hinckley has passed away and the First Presidency has been dissolved, Elder Packer is no longer the acting president of the quorum.
One final important key to all of this (no pun intended) is that of Priesthood keys. Elder Nelson wrote an article concerning this idea that can be found at LDS.org and is entitled "Keys of the Priesthood." The President of the Church (the most senior apostle) is the only person on the earth who holds all the keys of the Priesthood. The 12 apostles, combined, hold all the keys, but the current prophet is the only man who holds ALL of them. After the death of the President of the Church, the Apostles meet and bestow all the keys on the new leader of the Church.
I hope this was as clear as I wanted it to be. I think the SL Tribune article really got to me and I just wanted to clarify as much for myself as for all of you. Please, if you hear someone discussing this matter, join in and share what you know. As silly as it may sound, just knowing all this and learning more about it because we're in the midst of it has strengthened my testimony of this principle. The Lord knows what he's doing with his Church on this earth. He will never let his children be led astray. In fact, President Woodruff said in the 61st Semiannual General Conference "The Lord will never permit me or any other man who stands as President of this Church to lead you astray. It is not in the programme. It is not in the mind of God. If I were to attempt that, the Lord would remove me out of my place, and so He will any other man who attempts to lead the children of men astray from the oracles of God and from their duty." How true that is. I believe that the succession of leaders of the church is the Lord's way of preventing what President Woodruff talked about.
Sorry this is so long. If you have any further insights, please share! That way, maybe I won't feel too preachy. :)
"Making the decision to have a child - it's momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking outside your body."
-Elizabeth Stone
-Elizabeth Stone
Monday, February 04, 2008
Posted by Alisa Frakes at 10:25 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
Great explanation! It is imporatant that we understand how it works and why the Lord set it up that way. He's always taking care of us and we never have to live without having His mouthpiece on the earth, what a blessing!
I found the article and since I was way off on the name, here is the link http://www.newsroom.lds.org/ldsnewsroom/eng/news-releases-stories/succession-in-the-presidency-of-the-church-of-jesus-christ-of-latter-day-saints
And President Monson has been named as the new president and prophet, I think even by the time you posted this. His counselors are Presidents Henry B. Eyring and Dieter F. Uchtdorf.
Sorry the link won't work. It is linked from the page with the full story about President Monson.
If you go to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints website there is a link to the Church "Newsroom" that has an article (something like "How the next prophet is chosen") and it explains this more clearly and tells how it is. I think it is important to remember that the members of the Quorum of the Twelve do all have to unanimously agree on the new prophet, so they do have to have received revelation on that. Don't discredit that. Anyway, you should link the article. It explains it even better. No dis intended.
Post a Comment